Monday, May 2, 2022

DJ roundup & more

It's a new month, and that means new installments of monthly columns in the DJ. Today's DJ has PJ Gilbert in I'm just asking or the fear of offense, about word choice and noting "Sensitivity to the legitimate feelings and sensibilities of others is a necessity and a moral obligation as we become aware of inequities and biases we ignored or overlooked in the past."

And Myron Moskovitz has Biting the hand that feeds me Part 2: Calendar Memos? which is the second in his "series of columns critiquing our appellate courts." In this column, Myron observes:

  • "Sometimes – not often, but not rare either – appellate courts seem to be rushing to judgment, without doing the work needed to get it right."
  • "Occasionally – and I stress this: only occasionally – it’s clear to everyone in the courtroom that one or more of the judges are not well prepared."
  • “Believe the Presiding Justice’s speech at your peril. It might be so, and it probably is so. But I’ve seen and participated in oral arguments where judges simply did not know key facts.”
  • He concludes: "I too am not pleased with how long it takes appellate courts to decide my cases. But I think I speak for most attorneys when I say, “Take the time you need to get it right. Slow justice is better than quick injustice.”"
Bloomberg Law has Women Lawyers From Government Get More Chances at Supreme Court: Women argued 24% of cases during current term; approximately two-thirds were from governments.

The Recorder has Knowing What Appeals: How Marketing Your Appellate Practice Can Further Your Career by M.C. Sungaila, Adam Hansen and Jesse Dungan