- The Supreme Court issued 76 written opinions during the year.
- The Supreme Court ordered 17 Court of Appeal opinions depublished in this fiscal year.
- Percent of civil petitions for review granted = 6%; civil writs = 4%; criminal appeals = 2%
Courts of Appeal
- Total contested matters for the Courts of Appeal totaled 20,217 made up of 13,296 records of appeal and 6,921 original proceedings.
- Dispositions of appeals by written opinion totaled 9,967, appeals disposed of without written opinion
- totaled 4,000, and appeals disposed of without a record filed totaled 2,045. Dispositions of original
- proceedings by written opinion totaled 420, and original proceedings disposed of without written
- opinion totaled 6,590.
- Statewide, 8 percent of Court of Appeal majority opinions were published.
- Reversal rate in civil appeals = 17%
- Civil appeal publication rate is 15% statewide; the 3d was at 24% and the 2d at 11%
- For civil appeal time on docket: 2/5 is the fastest and the 6th is the slowest (by median time); using the 90th-percentile disposition time, 2/5 is still the fastest and the 3d is the slowest
- Odds of getting a written opinion from a writ petition (already tough!) has dipped even lower just about everywhere
The November 2017 issue of Litigation Update is now online, keeping you up-to-date on current case law. This issue includes the following case summaries and more: