Credentials: Justice Fybel graduated Order of the Coif from UCLA Law School, where he served on law review. He handled civil business litigation at leading firms before taking the bench, most recently Morrison & Foerster.
Justice Fybel has filled leadership roles in the California court system. He is the Chair of the California Supreme Court's Advisory Committee on the Code of Judicial Ethics, and previously chaired the committee that recommended the structure and rules for the new Supreme Court Committee on Judicial Ethics Opinions. He served on the Judicial Candidate Conduct Task Force of the California Commission for Impartial Court and the Kleps Award Committee, which honors contributions made by California courts to the administration of justice.
His community involvement has included service as:
- President, University Synagogue Board of Directors
- Member, Board of Visitors, Chapman Law School
- Member, UCLA Foundation Board of Councilors
- President, UCLA Law Alumni Association
- Member, the UCLA Law School Committee that selects recipients for scholarships for under-represented minority law students
- Board of Trustees, Orange County Public Law Library
- Member, Board of Visitors, The Rodgers Center for Holocaust Education at Chapman University
- Adjunct Professor, Chapman Law School
- Founder, Ruth and Ernest Fybel Endowed Fund for Literature on Children of the Holocaust at the Chapman University Samueli Holocaust Memorial Library
- Member, the 2010 Holocaust Program Planning Committee for "How the Courts Failed Germany," cosponsored by the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, the University of California and the Judicial Council