The DJ has Myron Moskovitz's Working, Part 5: Adding meat to the bones with 'AOB 2' -- In the latest installment of his brief-writing series, Myron Moskovitz explains how he builds an appellate opening brief by assembling key portions of the record, transcripts and legal research into a comprehensive working document.
Ed Whelan's Confirmation Tales has How Betty Fletcher Won by a Day and Lost for Nineteen Years
Bloomberg Law has David Lat's Judges' Casual Writing Embraces Slang-- and Not Everyone's a Fan
Law360 has Goldstein Not Leaving Prison Any Time Soon, 4th Circ. Rules -- The Fourth Circuit balked late Wednesday at freeing Tom Goldstein from prison as he fights felony convictions, and it rejected fast-track review of the renowned appellate advocate's trial, indicating he'll likely spend substantial time behind bars even if his appeal succeeds.
The Recorder has Bedsworth: Baseball Arbitration and Me:
I don't do arbitration and pre-trial mediation. I prefer post-trial stuff. That I know well. ... what I do now is appellate mediation and consultation. I tell people how I think they can win their appeal. Or I help them avoid throwing good money after a bad loss with an appeal as likely to succeed as the Angels.
Law360 has 5 Circuit Splits To Watch At The High Court, which begins:
The U.S. Supreme Court has been deciding fewer and fewer cases over the past three decades, with its caseload reaching a historic low just last term. While attorneys believe several factors have contributed to that trend, they say one of the most consequential is the court's apparent declining interest in resolving circuit splits. Historically, conventional wisdom among Supreme Court litigators has been that a petition for certiorari that presents a circuit split is more likely to be granted than one that doesn't. A conflict among lower courts is even one of the three explicit considerations for granting review listed in the Supreme Court's official rulebook. But over the past 30 years, the mere fact that a circuit split exists has become less of an indicator that the justices will grant review in a certain case.