Wednesday, June 19, 2024

DJ profiles former CJ

Last Friday's DJ had an ADR profile: Chiefly Experienced: Retired Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye applies experience and practicality to mediation.

  • Cantil-Sakauye joined the ADR Services Inc. roster of private neutrals in May last year, and she's since been handling moot courts, appellate consultations and mediations, during which she's worked regularly to resolve class action, personal injury, employment and insurance disputes.
  • Although the former chief justice isn't currently handling arbitrations, she hasn't shut the door entirely on that form of alternative dispute resolution work. "I view arbitration essentially as a mini-trial, and it requires time and attention and continuity," Cantil-Sakauye explained. "And since I have a job as the CEO of the Public Policy Institute of California, I'm not putting myself in the arbitration mix. But eventually? I love trials, I loved being a trial attorney, and I loved being a trial judge. I hope it's in my future eventually, but not yet."
"Sometimes you win when you should lose, and you lose when you should win," "And that's something I bring to try to explain why mediation can provide a very good option."

Today's DJ has retired PJ Bigelow's When lawyers are judged by their looks -- Women in the legal profession are judged by the strength of their characters and the brilliance of their minds, but are still judged by their appearance.