Tuesday, March 5, 2024

A "Lilliputian act of defiance"

Prof. Emeritus William Slomanson explains why he is "voluntarily relinquishing [his] membership in the Supreme Court Bar" in today's DJ article Supreme Court's Supreme Chill. It's about Trump-related cases.

I chose not to submit my protest directly to the Supreme Court. It has already paused the Insurrection Case proceedings via its apparent disregard for the justice-delayed-justice-denied mantra. I have, instead, penned this appeal to the Court of Public Opinion. Like the vast majority of lawyers, I have never appeared before the Supreme Court. So, my resignation is concededly symbolic. But sharing my perhaps Lilliputian act of defiance optimistically embraces Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu’s aphorism: “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”

Also in today's DJ is this month's Exceptionally Appealing column, titled How do judges learn how to be fair? CJER!