Tuesday, March 22, 2022

We have a new Supreme Court Justice!

“I’m honored and deeply humbled by this opportunity. I am mindful of the solemn responsibility, and I commit to fulfilling and discharging those responsibilities. I promise to uphold the rule of law and to uphold values of this state and our country.”

The Recorder reports First Latina Justice Patricia Guerrero Affirmed to California Supreme Court-- Guerrero succeeds Justice Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar, who left the court in October.

  • Guerrero, 50, is a graduate of the University of California, Berkeley and Stanford Law School. She was an assistant U.S. attorney in the Southern District of California from 2002 to 2003, and she became a partner at Latham & Watkins in 2006. She was a San Diego County Superior Court judge from 2013 to 2017, including a year as supervising judge of the family law division, before being appointed to the Fourth District Court of Appeal, Division One, in San Diego.
  • Her father, Jorge, attended the hearing in San Francisco, as did her sister, Claudia, husband, Joe, and her 15-year-old son, Anthony. Her 14-year-old son, Christopher, watched remotely.
  • Guerrero started working at a grocery store when she was 16 and graduated as co-valedictorian in high school.
  • Guerrero teared up as she thanked her mother, who died recently from breast cancer. “She taught us to be strong, compassionate and independent,” Guerrero said. “She showed us the importance of family” and to “thank God for our blessings."
[3/23 Today's DJ has Appellate Justice Patricia Guerrero confirmed to state high court; Bloomberg has 
First Latina Justice Confirmed to California Supreme Court: “I am humbled to be here recognizing the historic significance of this nomination as the first Latina to ever be appointed to the California Supreme Court. I embrace this nomination knowing that I’m not here today on my own. I stand of the shoulders of my grandparents and my parents who came to this country, even though it would be a struggle for them”; Law360 has Ex-Latham Atty Confirmed As 1st Latina On Calif. High Court]