Monday, January 31, 2022

Justice Murray retires

Today's DJ reports Justice William J. Murray Jr. of the 3rd District retires -- In an email to the court, Murray disclosed that he suffered two strokes in 2017. He has been criticized for low productivity in recent years. Murray said he wanted to stay in the court until he reached full retirement.

William J. Murray Jr., an associate justice on the 3rd District Court of Appeals, announced his retirement in an email to staff on Wednesday. His farewell email also confirmed he has suffered health problems in recent years. "After more than 26 years on the bench and nearly 36 years of public service in California, I am retiring tomorrow," Murray wrote. "In 2017, while in the hospital after suffering two strokes, I resolved that I would retire as soon as I could under the Judicial Retirement System II - on my 65th birthday, January 27, 2022."