Monday, July 20, 2020

DJ profiles Justice Krause

Today's DJ has Understated: Justice Peter Krause has always kept a low profile, in politics and on the Court of Appeal.

"I generally shy away from publicity," said Krause, who worked for Jerry Brown when Brown was attorney general and governor. "My role as a lawyer in government was certainly not to be the face of any issue. If my face was getting in the press, something was going terribly wrong." Brown appointed Krause to the Court of Appeal in 2018 near the end of his administration.
Krause said he has consciously tried to model himself on one of the court's veteran members, Justice M. Kathleen Butz. "I just hope that when my run is over I'll be regarded as well as Kathy Butz, who just retired," Krause said. "Her personality, her dedication to the law. She's just so approachable. She just has a sort of aura about her I'd like to duplicate."
Krause had a typical California childhood in Santa Monica and Granada Hills. He spent a lot of time bicycling and hiking with his friends, including on top of the now-notorious Aliso Canyon natural gas storage field. His life differed from many of his peers in one way though. His parents were immigrants who fled the war-torn Germany of their youth. Without the benefit of a college degree, his father rose from being a sheet metal worker to becoming an engineering planner for Rockwell International, including working on the Space Shuttle program. His mother had just a 6th grade education in Germany but taught herself English and raised two boys. "I've thought more about the immigrant aspect of my upbringing in recent times," Krause said. "I'm proud of them."
These days, he said, the whole family takes advantage of the area's many outdoor activities. His teen daughters play multiple sports, though these are largely on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic, while Krause likes skiing and kayaking.
A neighbor and coworker also recently inspired him to start doing his "flat, 3-mile commute" on a bicycle. "Sometimes Justice [Jonathan K.] Renner and I would leave about the same time," Krause said. "I'd be stuck in traffic and he would just come riding by waving to me. It's definitely a nice option to have."

Also in today's DJ's Appellate Zealot's column:



Appellate law best practices during the time of COVID
Remembering some basic rules of good practice, even when acting quickly, can help obtain an expeditious an final result that survives appeal. By Kirstin Ault