Monday, June 1, 2020

"We're all in this ..."

Today's DJ has PJ Gilbert's column, titled "We're all in this ..." which offers the usual thoughtful and entertaining observations, including:
  • A few more comments about facts in the legal profession. The recitation of facts in a motion, an opinion letter, a brief, a statement of decision, or an appellate opinion is often, if not always, the most important part. It is rudimentary that the law flows from the facts. ...  My colleagues and I are amazed, I mean chagrined, when on those rare occasions a lawyer flagrantly misstates facts that are belied by the record. What were they thinking?
  • Now nearly a third of our state's appellate justices are women. Our chief justice and two other women sit on our Supreme Court. Nearly one-third of our 106 Court of Appeal justices are women, and these include presiding justices. And that number may increase if ever I retire. And that's a tough decision. I have been threatened with great bodily injury if I do, and great bodily injury if I don't.