Monday, March 30, 2020

Bedsworth: Another Bad Haircut

The Recorder has Beds' latest column, Another Bad Haircut, and it's awesome and hilarious. A bit of topical humor is much needed, and this provides it in spades.

We’re doing telephonic oral arguments now. I’ve learned to limit my questions; there’s a short time delay in the telephonic connection and a question often interrupts an attorney who’s already started another thought. It can throw off their timing and make it hard for them to stay on topic.
And no unnecessary comments. It’s been my practice to make occasional efforts to say things that will relax the attorneys before me. Relaxed people perform better than nervous ones. But that doesn’t work with telephonic oral arguments. Turns out statements from someone whose smile cannot be seen are ineffective as tension dampers.
I’m also trying to prove that the appellate bar is wrong about me: I AM educable. I’m trying to learn everything I’m supposed to do to keep me and those around me safe.