Tuesday, April 10, 2018

DJ profiles Justice Simons

“I personally would describe my style as toward involved,
toward the very involved.”
In Inquisitive Interrogator, today's DJ profiles 1/5's Justice Mark Simons, "known for in-depth research and rapid-fire questioning of attorneys." (The DJ last profiled Justice Simons in December 2008 in San Francisco Appellate Justice Described as a Scholar with a Soul.)
"Simons’ legal expertise was recognized at a young age when he was appointed to the Contra Costa County Municipal Court bench in 1980 at 34 by Gov. Jerry Brown. He was subsequently appointed to the superior court by Gov. Pete Wilson, then to the Court of Appeal by Gov. Gray Davis in 2000."

“I would say, more often than not, I tend to ask a fair number of questions,” Simons said. “I often am trying to probe to see if I’ve overlooked something. ... A style of a question might be, ‘You know, help me on this: If X is true, why isn’t Y true?’”


(Also of note, yesterday's DJ profiled LASC Judge Richard Rico, who worked as a senior research attorney at 4/3 from 1995-1999.)