Friday, January 7, 2011

I'm Already Behind the Wave of Speculation

So much for being the first to take a crack at guessing the next California Supreme Court nominee.  Here's what's already out there.

Terence Chea of the AP confirms in an article published in the SF Chronicle and the Mercury News Governor Brown will likely "proceed cautiously," suggesting he will look to a veteran jurist, and may "likely choose a Hispanic or African American to fill the open seat since there will not be a member of either group after Moreno steps down."

Howard Mintz at the Mercury News quotes Justice Moreno as saying about Governor Brown, "If he asks for my opinion, I think he should do whatever he can that a Latino replaces me on the court."

Maura Dolan at the LA Times likes 1/3 Justice Martin Jenkins, who is African-American, and 1/4 Justice Maria Rivera, who is Latina.  She also mentions 1/2 PJ Tony Kline and 2/6 PJ Art Gilbert.

Those are four outstanding judges, any of whom would do well.  (I wish my boys would grow up to have the kind of career Justice Perkins has had, for example:  Seattle Seahawks, distinguished prosecutor, DOJ civil rights trial lawyer, civil litigator, state and federal judge.)

But none make my list.